Friday, May 28, 2010

What motivates us?

One year and half ago, I wrote the blog post Career Advice '08. The key idea was about encouraging people to develop their own expertise to be successful in their career. Don't wait for your management to give you something exciting, do it yourself!

Two weeks ago, I wrote another blog post Work around the general laziness. In some ways, I reported on my disappointment of not seeing enough autonomous experts, and that entrepreneurs have to compose with variously skilled teams.

I finished my second expose by mentioning the Twetailer's work-for-attribution offer. I explained that many people liked the concept and that few of them have committed to deliver something with their own schedule. Each one at its own pace builds an extended skill set.

What are the commonalities between the contributors?
  • They have a regular job so the money is not an issue.
  • They are performers and have a high level of satisfaction.
I was such a contributor when I started working with Steven, before jumping on the entrepreneur-side to help developing the business from the inside.

I had not really identified the sources of my motivation until I saw Dan Pink's illustration of "What motivates us", for a talk given by the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (theRSA.org).
The three factors that lead to performance and personal satisfaction:
  • Autonomy
  • Mastery
  • Purpose.





I strongly encourage you to look at that video, part for the fun of viewing Dan Pink in action, part for the delivered message. I encourage you also to share your experience as a comment below ;)

A+, Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment